Bringing Food to Life by Belinda Y. Hughes



Writing prompts can get you into some interesting situations. Back when I was in the Writing Bridge, we once had a prompt to convince readers that we were a fruit or vegetable. For some unknown reason, I chose to become a pineapple.



Giving things human characteristics is a technique called anthropomorphization, or more simply, personification. It’s been done for decades in advertising and entertainment media. Animals, plants and objects take on human-like thoughts, feelings and reactions -  walk, talk, sing, dance, move other things around, play games, go on adventures and experience the ups and downs of real life. You can also project a celebrity personality onto them, which is what I did, to spice things up a little.


My pineapple starts off as a bored guest at a Hawaiian-themed pool party, jealous of all the other vegetables. Without warning, she transforms into the sultry Eartha Kitt, a visibly dangerous woman convincing her all-too-human prey that she’s actually soft and touchable underneath. When the human finally gives her the attention she craves, my cacti citrus fruit strikes back.

Apparently, it was a convincing performance. “Undercover Eartha” was voted that month’s poetry prompt winner. Recently, I used it again, in a Google+ Dream community, in response to a thread involving dried pineapple aliens. Another member dubbed the poem their national anthem.

So in honor of these few warm days between freezes, as well as friends booking tropical vacations, I’m issuing a poetry challenge to anyone who wants to enter. In the comments below, make me and Marie believe you’re the personality-plus fruit or vegetable of your choice. The winner will be featured in a post on my food blog, CafĂ© Belinda.

Poetry Challenge Rules

·         Challenge dates: February 21st-22nd
·         One winner will be announced in my author interview here at Marie’s on February 24, 2014.
·         Enter your poem as a comment below.
·         32 lines or less
·         Poetic form of your choice
·         Sexy is okay. No profanity.
·         Judges: Marie Lavender and Belinda Y. Hughes
·         Topic: Make us believe you’re a fruit or vegetable.

Okay, go! Personify your garden and produce drawers. Zucchini Zane? Star Trek Strawberries? Whovian Blueberries?  We can’t wait to see what you come up with!  :)


Guest Blogger Bio
  

Belinda Y. Hughes is the author of Confessions of a Red Hot Veggie Lover 2, exclusively on Amazon. Cafe Belinda, her food blog, offers dairy free, gluten free, sugar free, Kosher, vegan and vegetarian recipes, reviews and giveaways. A longtime published poet and publicist, her works have been published in the Odessa Review, Long Story Short, Amaze: the Cinquain Journal, (Lake Charles) American Press, (MSU) Contraband, Jambalaya News (now the Louisiana Jam), New Day Publications and others. She recently completed her first sci-fi flash fiction and micro poetry collection. In 2014, she hopes to nurture her lifelong fascination with Asian culture.


Social Links: 
Books:
http://www.amazon.com/Confessions-Red-Hot-Veggie-Lover-ebook/dp/B00H4L35NM/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1393011110&sr=1-1

Living Proof

by Belinda Yvonne Hughes

 

http://www.booklocker.com/books/1979.html

3 comments:

  1. A really fun contest. Thank you for letting me know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm. You said food, but you said sexy is OK How about a little of both. It's from my sections of the soon-to-be published chapbook by Magdalena Ball and me.

    Crucibles

    I cry to flee
    my cloying Kool-Aid town,
    Postum city, devoid of caffeine-kick,
    east of Golden Gates
    west of Central Park.
    Crucibles of learning
    antidotes for yearning
    call my name,

    proffer
    Persephone’s juicy jewels
    to put upon my tongue,
    to swallow her ruby seeds
    one by one.

    I sigh to smell the
    scent of sour-baking
    baguette dough,
    discover absinthe’s essence
    in a bottomless glass,
    sip espresso, bitter-strong
    from the lips of crystal cups,
    suck crème fraiche
    from a lover’s fingertips

    Persephone’s Juicy Jewels

    1 cup flour
    1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
    1 cup brown sugar
    1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
    1 egg, at room temperature
    1 tsp. vanilla
    1/2 tsp. baking powder
    6 oz white chocolate chips

    Preheat the oven to 350degrees F. Line 3 cookie sheets with parchment paper. Cream butter and sugar. Add egg and vanilla and beat in. Combine flour, salt, and baking powder and mix in. Fold in chocolate and pomegranate seeds. Form cookies by dropping 1 heaping teaspoon of dough on the sheet two inches apart. Flatten slightly then bake until light brown, about 12 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So I was mindin' me business in me dark cool lair,
    When I suddenly got pulled up by me green, curly hair
    By a lad who set me down next to him, in a chair
    Into a bonny bath of water warmed fair.

    He scrubbed me orange flesh with great love and care,
    Then set me in a warm bed with steamy hot air.

    The buttery glaze he cloaked me with was all I remember
    As he plucked the seeds from my hair
    And said, "Until next September..."

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

A Character Interview with Dillon from MOUNTAIN BLAZE, plus a conversation with author Debby Grahl!

Today we're bringing something different to Writing in the Modern Age in the form of a character interview. These character interviews, ...