POETRY SPOTLIGHT: Heidi Renee Mason on Discovery

Hi, readers!  We have a real treat in store for you today, a poetry spotlight.  In these poetry spotlights today and in the future, we will be showcasing poetry by some very talented poets.  These poets have graced us with their presence.  

With us today is poet and author Heidi Renee Mason.  Here is a little taste of her poetry and her views on self-discovery.

 
Alone




Alone,
But not lonely;
Solitary,
But unconfined;
Free to be
Who I am inside;
Not constrained
By Life’s expectations,
Not hiding,
But authentic;
True to the person
I see in the mirror;
Living fully
In the moment,
Loving myself
In my own flawed skin.



Awakening


I’m awakening from years of sleep,

My eyes working hard to adjust

To the foreign sunlight;

Always afraid, always doubting;

But feeling a churning inside that says,

It’s time.

I timidly take one step,

Gaining momentum;

I’m running now…

For the first time,

Running toward something,

Instead of away from something else.


Feel


Sometimes

I feel too much;

My mind

Full of too many thoughts;

Unable to quiet

The voices in my head;

A thousand emotions,

A spontaneous combustion;

My feelings,

A jigsaw puzzle,

Always trying

To find the missing piece;

Impossible

To find my center,

In a room full of people

It’s only me;

Swept away by the whirlpool

Of others’ pain;

If I feel too much,

It’s only because

I can choose to be numb

Or feel everything.


Fragments



Today I stumbled upon

Scattered fragments of myself;

Pieces I discarded long ago,

Picking up instead

The things that others expected;

I found my innocent smile

That in time was replaced

With a guarded gaze;

I discovered my trusting nature,

Diminished by life-weary cynicism;

I found my belief in fairy tales,

Crushed by the reality of betrayal;

I gathered the pieces

And put them in my pocket,

Determined to reconcile them

With the woman I’ve become.


Metamorphosis



In a chrysalis

Of my own making,

Constructed

Out of necessity;

A safe haven

To hide from the world,

I remain still,

Trying to keep the pain at bay;

Suddenly, I feel it,

A difference

In the atmosphere;

My chrysalis,

No longer needed;

Unsure,

But feeling the change;

Metamorphosis

Is taking over,

My world, suddenly unfamiliar;

The pain

No longer dominating;

I look, only to see

A wing

Where there used to be none;

Not one wing, but two;

How will I use

 These newfound wings?

I will fly-

As I was always meant to do.


Pulled


Pulled

In a thousand directions;

Giving

Everything for the ones I love;

Filling

The cups of those around me,

While my own sits empty,

Dying of thirst;

Trying

To be everything;

Out of pure love,

Not obligation;

I would gladly give my life

To make theirs better;

And so I do.

Thanks for your take on "discovery", Heidi! This coincides perfectly with World Poetry Day! A pleasure to have you visit us on Writing in the Modern Age! :)


Poet Bio
 

Heidi Renee Mason is a passionate novelist who enjoys writing character-driven stories. A lover of words, she also writes poetry. Heidi is a member of Romance Writers of America, International Thriller Writers, and Willamette Writers. A native of the Midwest, Heidi now resides in the Pacific Northwest with her husband and three daughters.


Links:




Instagram:  https://www.instagram.com/author_heidireneemason/
Publisher:  http://solsticepublishing.com/heidi-renee-mason/



Books: 

http://www.amazon.com/Art-Love-Heidi-Renee-Mason-ebook/dp/B01CEUZXX2/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1458596474&sr=1-1&keywords=The+Art+of+Love+Heidi+Renee+Mason

http://www.amazon.com/Adventures-Love-Schenna-ebook/dp/B01BH2F7E8/ref=la_B014VO7AM6_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1458595827&sr=1-2

http://www.amazon.com/Investigating-Heart-Heidi-Renee-Mason-ebook/dp/B014V2H2I0/ref=la_B014VO7AM6_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1458595827&sr=1-1
  

4 comments:

Featured Post

A Character Interview with Dillon from MOUNTAIN BLAZE, plus a conversation with author Debby Grahl!

Today we're bringing something different to Writing in the Modern Age in the form of a character interview. These character interviews, ...