Interview with Author James Glass

My guest today is author James Glass. Hello! Welcome to Writing in the Modern Age! It’s such a pleasure to have you here.

Can you tell us a little bit about your latest book? When did it come out? Where can we get it? 


https://books2read.com/u/b6x2Jy


If the past holds you prisoner, can justice set you free? This is what Detective Rebecca Watson hopes for as she tracks a vicious serial killer. 

Stone Cold was released through The Wild Rose Press and was published October 31, 2018. You can purchase a copy at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Books-A-Million and through my publisher.

Intriguing! 

Is there anything else which prompted this book? Something that inspired you?

Stone Cold was based on a text I received from my wife when she was getting ready to testify in court. The first paragraph of the story was her text to me, and so the story of Rebecca Watson was born.

Wow! I always find it interesting to see where the muse takes us as writers...

Let me ask a different question.

When did you know you wanted to write? Or has it always been a pastime of yours?

My first book was a challenge from a fellow master chief in the Navy. He challenged me to turn my training PowerPoint for sailors striving to become chief petty officers into a book. I accepted his challenge, and eighteen months later The Ultimate Chief Petty Officer Guidebook was published through Savas Beatie Publishing.

Nice!


Do you have any favorite authors yourself, James?

Great question with many possible answers, but my favorite author is Nelson DeMille.

Okay.

So, do you write in a specific place? Time of day?  


I have a writing room where I write from 4 am to 6 am seven days a week. I also write from 9 am to 11 am on Saturdays. 


That's great!

Are there any words you'd like to impart to fellow writers? Any advice?


Write. Just write. You can edit anything except a blank page. And just because you want to write doesn’t mean you have to be an author. You can create a story without having the will to fight through to publication. Telling your story is important even if you’re only writing for your own benefit. Don’t let anyone take the joy of writing from you because submissions, rejections, edits, and reviews aren’t how you want to spend your life. 

You’re still a writer—a storyteller. Don’t let anyone take that away from you.
 

Such an awesome tip!

Thank you so much for stopping by to visit us here today at Writing in the Modern Age. It was wonderful having you!  :)


Readers, here is the blurb for Stone Cold, book one of the Rebecca Watson Series.


https://books2read.com/u/b6x2Jy
 
Detective Rebecca Watson is tracking a vicious serial killer in Eugene Falls, Florida. As a distraction, she's dragged back into court for the retrial of a man convicted of murdering his girlfriend five years earlier. His defense attorney will use any means to get his client freed, including uncovering old wounds from Watson's past.

As the case takes a few hard turns, nothing can prepare her for the world she's about to encounter, the past that haunts her, and the truth behind the serial killer's motive.



Purchase Links:

 

Universal Reader Link: https://books2read.com/u/b6x2Jy

BAM: https://www.booksamillion.com/p/Stone-Cold/James-Glass/9781509223329?id=7441306337988

Publisher: https://catalog.thewildrosepress.com/paperback-books/6299-stone-cold-paperback.html


Here is an excerpt from the book.




The worst part about waiting to testify is I spend the entire time terrified the lawyers will uncover some huge mistake that screams how lazy and incompetent I am. I tell myself a hundred different ways that I always do the best I can…but I don't really listen.
After so many appearances in court you’d think I’d have no problem when it comes time to testify. But it never fails. Every time the bailiff comes to get me from this small waiting room, the cycle begins.
The door swings open and a big woman with a horsey face and short gray hair enters. Her uniform hugs her well-nourished figure. The web belt is off-center and sags to her right, the holster almost resting on her thigh. She looks directly at me and I’m waiting to see if her voice sounds like John Wayne.
“Detective Rebecca Watson?” she asks in a soft voice.
“That’s me.” I wipe my sweaty palms on my black slacks.
Like clockwork, my stomach twists into a knot, pushing its contents toward my throat as I stand and follow her into the courtroom.


****
The courtroom is overflowing with spectators and media. Knees trembling, my high heels echo off the marble floor as I approach the witness stand, carrying a red binder, also known as a murder book. Today is going to be a very tough day. This is no ordinary case. The Florida Supreme Court awarded Leonard Lee Lucius a new trial or whatever verbiage they used. Some crap about tainted evidence. Anyway, his new defense team argued a crucial piece of evidence, the knife used to kill his girlfriend, Teri Goodson, was exposed to foreign fibers after being collected from the crime scene and before being signed into the evidence locker.
Apparently, neither the jurors nor his lawyers saw fit to argue this point during the previous trial. The jury found him guilty. The District Attorney sought the death penalty, but Lucius ended up with life.
All eyes in the courtroom focus on me. I keep my head straight to avoid their stares. As I step closer to the witness stand, it feels like I’m the one on trial. This isn’t true, but I can’t wrap my head around the fact they’re judging me, even before being sworn in.
 


Hmm...so what are people saying about this book?


⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Starting a book by an author with whom I'm not familiar always makes me nervous. But I'm happy to say that within the first couple of chapters, my worries went out the window. Not only did I enjoy it thoroughly, I've found a new series that hit the ground running. Clearly, this series is off to a great start. To the author, thank you - and please, sir, may I have some more? - Monnie Ryan, Amazon


"Good plot, conflict and dialogue. Whew, I loved this book! Since the book is titled Rebecca Watson Series Book 1, I think can rightfully assume that author James Glass plans to make a series out of Detective Rebecca Watson's very interesting cases. It's just great when an author can pull off a current case that's unrelated to anything to do with the protagonist--she's just doing her job--and a past case that reveals something about the protagonist's background that could have a significant impact on another case. The author held two points of conflict in sharp contention, which kept me turning the pages.

Kudos on realistic, well-done dialogue that kept the book moving along at just the right pace. And the romantic in me is looking forward to the next book to see where things go with Rebecca and Francisco. Their relationship did not interfere with or overshadow the overall crime suspense theme. It's nice to anticipate the next book in a new series
." - Cardinal, Amazon


Layers of conflict in this murder mystery. A well-written novel with interesting characters and plenty of drama inside and outside the courtroom. There are two murders to resolve; one is a re-trail of a man who is presumed guilty by the protagonist, Rebecca Watson. Meanwhile, a serial killer is on the loose.
The story is written in first person from Rebecca's POV, which gives deep insight to her character, along with personal issues she faces when a situation threatens to reveal a painful secret in her past.
For fans of the mystery/thriller genre, I recommend this suspenseful novel. - Elaine L., Amazon


Awesome...add it to your Goodreads bookshelf, readers!
 
This books sounds like a great read! We'll be sure to check out this crime thriller!


Get it now!


https://books2read.com/u/b6x2Jy



Author Bio




James Glass achieved the rank of Command Master Chief before retiring after 22 years in the United States Navy. After retiring from the Navy, he exchanged his rifle for a pen. He and his family moved back to Florida Panhandle. James is also the President of the Panhandle Writers Group.


Author Links:

Blog/Website: 
http://www.jamescglass.com/
Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/james.glass.94  
 
James' Books:


https://books2read.com/u/b6x2Jy

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BJLHW2Q/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_bibl_vppi_i2

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N144134/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_bibl_vppi_i1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HCOFSQ8/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_bibl_vppi_i0

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

A Character Interview with Dillon from MOUNTAIN BLAZE, plus a conversation with author Debby Grahl!

Today we're bringing something different to Writing in the Modern Age in the form of a character interview. These character interviews, ...