Interview with Author P.I. Barrington

My guest today is P.I. Barrington. 

 

Hello! Welcome back to Writing in the Modern Age! It’s such a pleasure to see you here again. 


Hello! Thank you for allowing me to share my latest sci-fi adventure!

 

Oh, of course! It's an honor.

 

Can you tell us a little bit about your book? When did it come out? Where can we get it?

 

https://books2read.com/u/b6j7PM

The Brede Chronicles, Book 2 actually came out May 30th! It picks up a year later in the saga. It’s a step into a mystery which is this new book, and it wasn’t just me who long-awaited #2.
 

Awesome!

 

Is there anything specific that inspired you to write book two?  

 

Well, it really wasn’t inspired but it was something that helped me get through my sister’s death from cancer. I was trying to write it through all of that and I think it’s what kept me coherent as a writer and as a personality. She was my closest sister and it was and is still hard to deal her death. They say it gets better with time, but I don’t think so. I think that’s just a platitude that people think they need to say at times like that. But I really think that writing the book kind of created a buffer between my sister’s death and dying, and me trying to accept the situation in a sane way.
 

I see. Sorry to hear about the loss of your sister. :(
 
Let's try a different question, all right?
 
If this book was made into a film, who would you cast in it?

 

Um, let me think a moment. I think for Colin Factor I’d cast Jason Momoa. He just seems to have that type of personality and Alekzander Brede has always been Vin Diesel with box braids (but not as an anti-hero, just anti-everything). If I could find the woman on the cover of the first book, that’s who Elektra Tate is to me. I only have a photo of who Zander Brede is, but I’d have to find him in real life. And little Arrian is…well, just a little kid with coloring like Elektra and temperament like Colin. And I’ve brought a new character in who I envision as (an alien) Dame Maggie Smith. I’ve always loved her. Part of her charm is her impeccable sarcasm.
 

Nice!
 
How about some general questions?

When reading, do you prefer traditional printed books or ebooks? And why?

 

I’m old-school. My mom got a Kindle reader one year for Christmas and I tried to load things to read on hers, but I never really could get into using it. I just love paperbacks. But I don’t dog-ear them either! I can’t stand people who don’t value books and who mistreat them. Of course, Kindle is much less to carry around and you can read it anywhere. 

 

True. 

 

So, what are you reading now? 

 

Actually, I just finished a book, Blaze by author Hope Bolinger, and it was an eye-opener in terms of what the YA genre is about. I rarely review anything but I did with this and I was quite surprised at how much I liked it, and one reason for that is that it’s a clean read (considering my characters swear at the least, LOL) and the premise is great! It released last week so I would advise anyone of any age to read it!
 

Cool!

 

When you get an idea for a book, what comes first usually? Dialogue, the characters, a specific scene? Or do you plot it all out before you write?

 

It depends, but usually I start with a character and what they look like, and a basic idea of their personality and the name. Then I start writing the opening scene. And again, that opening scene depends on what the story is and where it takes place. I’ve tried to plot, so hard, but I cannot do that. I have to just let it flow. I’m one of those weird “pantser” authors, that’s all I can say.
 

I know what you mean...

 

What do you have planned next? Or is that a secret?

 

I haven’t even thought that far ahead yet. LOL. I’m not sure, but I’ve been thinking about a new trilogy with the next generation of Bredes. Zander already has a backstory and Arrian does too, and I think where they could go is pretty intense. I have other stories that are screaming for attention too, so I’ll be busy.
 

Okay.

 

Is there anything you'd like to add? Any advice for new writers?


Normally I would say no, but I just gave some basic advice to a new author a few days ago! I told her that to get published she HAS to finish the book or a book before she can do anything. Many new authors don’t know that or don’t think that way, but finishing a manuscript does something for the author’s mind. It lets them know that they can finish a book and that they should always finish a manuscript, and that once they do, they’ll be taken much more seriously in publishing. I also told her to memorize this: A story has a beginning, a middle, and an end. If they can work through those things, getting published will be easier to do.
 

Such great advice!
 
Well, thank you for visiting, P.I.!

 

Thanks for the invite!
 
It's my pleasure, of course! :) Happy to have you here any time! 
 
Readers, here is the blurb for The Brede Chronicles, Book Two.

https://books2read.com/u/b6j7PM
https://books2read.com/u/b6j7PM

Elektra Tate is dead, yet she haunts them all.

Arrian, the little boy sent to his uncle’s to live, doesn’t understand this at all—he only knows that he misses his mother and brother desperately, even as he’s afraid of his father.

Zander, responsible for his mother’s death, scheming a takeover while battling the grief that acts as both fuel and motivation

Colin who lost track of Arrian so enmeshed in his own secret liaisons with Elektra, guilt and a sense of something more niggling at him

Alekzander, burying himself in a bottle when he’s not following Elektra through the streets and slums of New Cairo

Elektra appears to them all, none really certain about what is and isn’t real. The only certainty in all this is that nothing will be as they thought. Is someone impersonating her, or has she truly come back to them all? 
 

Here is an excerpt.

 

“I’m tempted to put you alongside Zander on that mental planet,” Colin glared at his brother. 
“I’m not crazy, Colin—" Brede said.
“They found you on your back in the middle of the road at noon today, Alekzander. No one knew how you got there, or what you were doing there, and why the hell you were unconscious. You could have easily been murdered. What the hell happened?”
“It was her Colin—" 
“Her? Her who?” 
Brede hesitated. “Elektra,” he said finally.
“What? Are you out of your mind?”
“She is alive. I touched her—held her. Then, she said she had to go and that is the last thing I can recall.” 
“Christ.” Colin squeezed his brows with his fingers. He gazed down for a moment then looked back up at his brother. “You do realize you were hallucinating, Alekzander,”
“I was not hallucinating. I touched her. She was real, Colin, real.”
“All right,” Colin sighed. “Tell me everything you do remember. How did all of this start? Where were you?”
“Just as it did the last time; I was sleeping in the Menkare when I heard her voice calling me. This time she waited for me, and I chased her all the way down to my old docking bay. This time she stopped and spoke to me, then I reached out and touched her—"
“This has happened before?” Colin looked aghast.
“Yes, that’s why I’m here. I’ve been here a week. I’m not leaving without her.”
Colin now rested his forehead on his palm, eyes closed. “Alekzander,” he spoke slowly to make sure his brother understood the words. “Elektra is dead, you know that, right? She is not alive, she is not even on this planet. Her body is entombed on Amphidia in a mausoleum on your property. Do you remember?” He raised his head and frowned at Brede.
“I am not insane, nor am I stupid, Colin. I was there, I held her in my arms as she died. Do you remember that? I am telling you she is alive—here in New Cairo. I fucking touched her.”
“What you are saying is insane, Alekzander. If you keep this up, you will be lying next to your son, sharing a drug pump.”
“I’d like to see you try, Colin.”
“I don’t want to have to.  Why don’t you stay with me for a day or two—just to get some perspective,” he held up a hand to stop Brede’s interruption.  “Obviously, you’ve been internalizing everything that’s happened. Maybe you need to talk about…everything.”
“I don’t need to talk, Colin. I need to find Elektra.”
“Look,” Colin rose from his large chair. “If it is Elektra, and she’s really alive, she’ll still be alive when you find her. If you find her. If she’s not, what difference will a day or two make?” He said in a gentler tone. “I’m not trying to lock you up, Alekzander. I was once crazy over a woman myself.” He smiled at Brede. “I nearly killed you over her.”
“Colin— “
“Come on, brother. You can go with me to check on Zander. Stay for a day at least.”
Seeing his deranged son did not make Colin’s offer more attractive to Brede. Zander was the last person he wanted to see.  “I’ll just stay tonight, Colin. I don’t need to see my son. He’ll do better without me.”
“Fine, then. Come, you can use one of the suites and prepare for dinner.”
Colin held out his arm and led Brede down the hallway to one of the extra suite of rooms he kept for visiting dignitaries. Neither noticed the pale woman with short blonde hair who stood amid the servants wearing a cruel, but lopsided, smile.
 

 

Purchase Link:


Universal Reader link:  https://books2read.com/u/b6j7PM

 

 

Wow! It looks quite a ride!

 

Readers, don't forget to explore book one as well...

 

https://books2read.com/u/brpJde
https://books2read.com/u/brpJde

 

We'll be sure to check out this science fiction adventure/family saga!

 

https://books2read.com/u/b6j7PM

 

 

Author Bio

 

After an extended detour through 
the entertainment industry, P.I. 
Barrington has returned to writing 
fiction. Among her experiences are 
journalism, radio air talent and the music 
industry. Her work includes Future Imperfect 
Trilogy (Crucifying Angel, Miraculous Deception,
 Final Deceit) through Desert Breeze Publishing, 
Inamorata Crossing/Borealis 1: A Space Opera 
through Desert Breeze Publishing, Isadora 
DayStar (self-published), The Button Hollow 
Chronicles: The Leaf Peeper Murders through 
Mainly Murder Press, as well as some free 
stories for your reading pleasure on 
Wattpad.com. 
 
She writes crime thrillers usually of the 
near-future, as well as science fiction. She lives in 
Southern California and has a MaltiChu puppy 
named Cupcake (she likes to call her Pupcake) 
and her brother, Whiskey Pete! Yes, she knows 
they sound like a prostitute and a miner. ;)

Her new novel, The Brede Chronicles, Book 2 
released May 30, 2019.

 

Author Links:

 

Website/Blog:  https://pibarringtonwrites.wordpress.com/  

Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/PIBarrington
https://www.facebook.com/pages/PI-Barrington/172789972781654 

Twitter:  https://twitter.com/PIBarrington

Amazon Author Page:  http://www.amazon.com/P.I.-Barrington/e/B0032UWIA0/

Goodreads:  https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/3415716.P_I_Barrington

Publisher:  http://www.firstrealmpublishing.com/p/pi-barrington_44.html

 

 

P.I.'s Books:

 

https://books2read.com/u/b6j7PM

 

https://books2read.com/u/brpJde

 

https://www.amazon.com/Zippered-Flesh-Tales-Body-Enhancements-ebook/dp/B007DK8XU4/ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0066GOCT2/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_bibl_vppi_i1

 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0982589999/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_bibl_vppi_i5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

A Character Interview with Dillon from MOUNTAIN BLAZE, plus a conversation with author Debby Grahl!

Today we're bringing something different to Writing in the Modern Age in the form of a character interview. These character interviews, ...