POETRY SPOTLIGHT: Pam Handa on Love

Hi, readers!  We have a real treat in store for you today, a poetry spotlight.  In these poetry spotlights today and in the future, we will be showcasing poetry by some very talented poets.  These poets have graced us with their presence.  

With us today is poet Pam Handa.  Here is a little taste of her poetry and her views on love.





Stupid Cupid


Mortals have believed in you right from the start,
Because tiny Cupid you're such a sweetheart.
Your golden wings are a wonder and delight;
Your solid arrows quite impossible to fight.
Who can resist your loving piercing darts
Which strike at random vulnerable hearts?
When you come down racing by to strike,
Men and women who each other could like,
There's no running away from your absolute power,
Or trying to evade your earthly love shower.
The ignorant may call you stupid Cupid
But the wise know you're love's child little Cupid





Love



Love, the most unique
Of all human emotions,
To a million folks,
Is a million notions.

Simply holding hands,
Or lying on the sands.
Whispering sweet nothings,
Or many other things:

A hot, fiery kiss;
Or someone you miss.
A big sacrifice;
An infatuation in disguise.

A fleeting smile,
Lasting quite a while
A life-time passion,
Or a strange obsession.

For some, it’s a dream
As bright as a sunbeam.
Or a reality stark,
Consuming one like a shark!

Whatever one thinks,
Whatever one feels,
It fills one’s very being,
And from what I’m seeing,

It brings a special feeling
That sends the head reeling.
Taking away the strife,
Of this earthly life.

Making one’s ordinary existence
Full of joy and excitement
An extraordinary resistance,
And mental enlightenment!




The Queen of the Heart


The young lady was still in her early teens,

When love came by in a tinsel dream.

“Would you like to be my queen,” he promptly asked.

“Oh yes,” she replied, “If forever you will last.”

“Let’s sign a bilateral pact never ever to part,

But to stay alive in each other’s heart.”

“That’s fine by me,” replied the jubilant teen,
“What about the times when life is not so serene?”
“Why worry about what we may never see?
Let’s dwell on that which will surely be.”
“That’s fine by me, I’ll do my little bit.
What happens to us when old age does hit?”
“Think of all the good times we’ll have enshrined,
In our photo-albums on the side-board lined.”
“If you say so my dear, I’ll gladly believe,
But, promise me this, there’ll be no sigh to heave.”
“When we’ve seen the cliffs of Dover,
And it’s still not quite over,
I promise we’ll retire to where we belong.
In that corner of my heart,
Where I know we'll still be strong.”







Poet Bio 


My name is Pam Handa nee Kochhar. I was born in New Delhi but have spent most of my life in Ghana and the UK. I graduated from the Sacred Heart College Dalhousie, in India. I received my Masters degree from the Punjab University as well as a gold medal for coming first. I started my teaching career in the English Dept of the same university. I married Dr Prem Handa, a Paediatrician, in 1968 and in 1972 we emigrated to Ghana. Today, I am the author of two books recently published by Trafford in the USA. 



Of Kismet and Karma, my first novel, is a cross-cultural blend of fact and fiction, based on my personal experiences in India, Ghana and the UK. My anthology of poems is entitled Wings of the Heart. Both books are available on Amazon.com, as E-books and in all Barnes and Nobles shops. The EBOOKS are really cheap. Get hold of them and spend time on going back to all that stirs the very soul!



Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/PAM-HANDA-NEE-KOCHHAR/121487404694554

Twitter:  @handapam
 




 

2 comments:

  1. In my opinion, poetry speaks more from the heart than any other kind of writing and is deeply personal. Thanks for sharing your heart, Pam.

    Linda Lee Williams

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

A Character Interview with Dillon from MOUNTAIN BLAZE, plus a conversation with author Debby Grahl!

Today we're bringing something different to Writing in the Modern Age in the form of a character interview. These character interviews, ...