Interview with Author Ann Morris



My guest today is Ann Morris.  Hello, Ann!  Welcome to Writing in the Modern Age!  It’s such a pleasure to have you.

Can you tell us a little bit about your book? When did it come out? Where can we get it?
  
 My first book "pair" (I publish children's picture books in English and separately in Spanish) was published in 2011.  Mommy and Mikel Go For a Walk and Mikel y Mami dan un paseo are available on AuthorHouse.com, Amazon.com, Barnes and Noble, and Books-a-Million.  There are probably other sites, too, but these are the major ones.  Amazon is the one with the most reviews.

My first pair was prompted by a long-preserved memory of a walk I took with my son about 25 years ago.  He was an inquisitive child.  The book relates our escapades and ends in a learning experience.  He remembers it well, also, to this day.



I have a new "pair" to be released in October by Mascot Books.  Surprise in Auntie's Garden! and ¡Sorpresa en el jardín de la tía! are not yet available, but they will be colorful and charming!



This pair is inspired by my young niece (now also an adult) who shared a love of flowers with me from the time she was a baby.  We are close, and this story also includes a learning experience, as all of my books will.

Is there anything that prompted your book ? Something that inspired you? 

All of my books are originally inspired by true experiences.  They are written in a manner that focuses on positive adult role models, curious children, and learning experiences.

Great!  So, when did you know you wanted to write?  Or has it always been a pastime of yours?

I have always loved to write.  I also write poetry.  I love the art of words.

Do you have any favorite authors?
  

I love historical fiction.  I read a lot of Diana Gabaldon and Philippa Gregory.  I love James Michener.  I have also read a lot of Ernest Hemingway and John Steinbeck.

Do you write in a specific place?  Time of day?  

I usually write in my office, because that is where my computer is, but I would love to retreat to an isolated location near woodlands by myself.  That would be magic.

Are there any words you'd like to impart to fellow writers?  Any advice?    

Write what you know about or what you believe in.  Write about what you feel.  Be true to yourself.  You will always touch someone else's life.  Write for yourself.  Worrying about what others may want to hear harms the beauty of your soul and your expression.

Here is the blurb for Mommy and Mikel Go For a Walk.

Mommy and Mikel Go for a Walk is based on a true story held in Ms. Morris' heart for over a decade. Mikel is her son, now an adult. The spirit and the events of the story are true. This book is dedicated to Mikel, her first inspiration.

Here is the blurb for the upcoming release, Surprise in Auntie’s Garden!

Auntie and her niece Erin both love flowers.  Auntie is proud of her flower garden, and Erin likes to be with her among the flowers. One day Erin finds a funny kind of “worm” in the garden and calls Auntie over to see it.  They call it Mr. Clown because of his colorful stripes. To learn what it is, they study and  discover what kind of caterpillar it is and watch it's progress in Auntie’s garden.  Erin learns a valuable lesson in nature. 

Here are excerpts from both books.

Mommy and Mikel Go For a Walk excerpt

One nice morning Mommy asked Mikel (pronounced Mee-kell) if he wanted to go for a walk.

            “Yes, Mommy!” he answered.  Mikel and Mommy didn’t get to do things alone very often, because Mommy worked almost every day.



            “Then let’s get ready!” smiled Mommy.  “It’s chilly today, so wear jeans and take along your jacket.”


Surprise in Auntie’s Garden! excerpt




Author Bio
 
I am a published bilingual children's picture book author. I write my own stories in Spanish and English. I believe this makes my message available to readers of the native language as well as learners of the other. My mission is to promote interest in reading for children and their parents, positive adult role models, and an opportunity to learn as well as to participate in the learning process.

I am open-minded and culturally fascinated. I'm amazed by how cultures and languages affect and reflect people's beliefs and attitudes. I do not like conflict and trust in peaceful resolution. Diplomacy succeeds so many times where quarreling and accusations waste time, energy and are harmful to causes.

I am an educator and will always wish to assist people to help themselves, no matter their origins. Languages provide us with tools for communication that enable that empathy and work.

I truly believe that we need to concentrate on our commonalities to preserve this treasure we call Earth for our children.

Facebook Author Page:  http://tinyurl.com/agks2hu           

 
 


 
  


   
 
   
 
 
 

7 comments:

  1. I like your questions, Maria. Enjoyed this very much and like the idea she begins with real-life inspiration. Especially like: Worrying about what others may want to hear harms the beauty of your soul and your expression.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kathleen! I write what is in my heart and hope others share and appreciate my messages.

      Delete
  2. Great interview. Ann Morris' books are really cute. Great kids' books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Carole! I always appreciate feedback! I appreciate it!

      Delete
  3. i like the massage which you want to give through your book. i 'll read them as soon as possible and feedback some felling about them to you^^

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read "Mommy and Mickel go for a walk" and I really loved it :) Good job Ann <3 You're the best :)

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

A Character Interview with Dillon from MOUNTAIN BLAZE, plus a conversation with author Debby Grahl!

Today we're bringing something different to Writing in the Modern Age in the form of a character interview. These character interviews, ...