Interview with Author Raegyn Perry

My guest today is Raegyn Perry.  Hello!  Welcome back to Writing in the Modern Age!  It’s such a pleasure to have you here again.

Can you tell us a little bit about your latest book? When did it come out? Where can we get it?

 

http://bookgoodies.com/a/B015NC4D8E

   Lavender Fields is a paranormal romance that centers on reincarnation, so it’s basically two romances, though one has a very different ending than the other! Connor and Greye meet under distressing circumstances, but neither can deny the attraction they feel for one another. Both have reasons for keeping romance at bay, but love had other ideas.
 
Their love however is tested. Throw in bigotry, jealousy, odd clues and an unexplained connection, and you see they have their work cut out for them. Connor and Grey will have to confront a mystery of the past that opens the way for a second chance if they’re willing to take it. The story is funny, sexy, dark, and pretty raw while being twisted, mysterious, and still somehow romantic.

Lavender Fields released earlier than expected on Sunday, September 20th which happened to be my beloved late mom’s birthday. (Think she worked a little magic of her own!) It is currently available on Amazon.

 

Sounds awesome!

Is there anything specific that inspired you to write Lavender Fields?
 
 

I love this question because the inspiration for this story was triggered by a real family story. I don’t remember my grandmother that well, but her sister, my Aunt Pauline, passed this down to my dad. He shared that his grandmother had been the offspring of a white planter’s daughter who had run off with a mulatto (mixed) slave. Needless to say, she was disinherited- I know, taboo to say the least, right? As glad as I am that they got away, my imagination asked what would happen if they hadn’t gotten to their happily ever after?  

 

Wow! Interesting indeed!

 

So, Raegyn, when did you know you wanted to write? Or has it always been a pastime of yours?

 

Since I was a child, I was always creating stories, and letting my imagination run off with me. My favorite uncle, Billy (whose ghost I saw, but that’s another story), once gave me one of those old tape recorders (had to hold two buttons down at the same time to record!), and I would scour the neighborhood for interviews, sound bites, or just dictate stories by myself. I would also get the other kids around to act out scenes I wrote. Needless to say, I started acting at a young age as well, but that wasn’t really as much a passion until I got older. So, long answer is yes, I knew I loved writing from the word go.
 

Great!  

 

Do you have any favorite authors?

 

Favorite authors? Oh my, so many. I’d be here all day trying to make and weigh one against the other, so just to name a few, here goes. James Patterson-most all of them, but fell in love with When the Wind Blows, and the sequel, The Lake House were so unique and captivating. Anne Rice is up there. Got to meet her at a signing and we started chatting like there wasn’t a huge line of people waiting! I’d be remiss in not admitting how nerdy I was over the Harry Potter series, but then I also adore Oscar Wilde, and Emily Bronte. Kind of all over the place, but that’s literally the tip of the iceberg! Don’t get me started on childhood favorites, cause we’d be here awhile!  

 

LOL! I know what you mean.

 

So...do you write in a specific place? Time of day?

 

My writing times vary. During the week, it’s after work, so early evening. I’ll get in anywhere from 30 minutes to three or four hours (depending on when I start). Sometimes, I come home and just veg; which means binge watch, or get lost in a book! On weekends, if I’m organized, I’ll start at around 9 or 10am, and write as long as I can. On a good day, I’ve gone up to eight hours. 

As far as where I write, that varies as well. I have a favorite coffee shop down the hill in my neighborhood,  I also like the café inside my local Barnes and Noble also. Sometimes it’s the library, or just hunkered down at my pretty glass desk at home.
 

 

Sounds ideal!

 

Are there any words you'd like to impart to fellow writers? Any advice?

 

What would I say to other writers? The best advice I ever received was to acknowledge the passion for writing, and therefore just write. I want to always be learning and growing. I want to constantly hone my craft! As long as I enjoy the process and my imagination lets me go there, I’ll continue to be a writer. 

By the way Marie, I so enjoyed the first book of the Blood at First Sight Series! You are an inspiration to us all.

Thank you so much for having me here!


   

Aww...thanks, hon! That's really sweet of you. :)
 
And it's my pleasure! Thanks for your wonderful advice! As long as we keep trying and we enjoy the journey of writing, we can never go wrong.

Thank you so much for stopping by to visit us here today at Writing in the Modern Age, Raegyn.  It was so nice having you!  :)

Readers, here is the blurb for Lavender Fields.


http://bookgoodies.com/a/B015NC4D8E


Torrential rain spikes. A scream pierces the dark night.

Greye Fields has immersed herself in her literary work, with no desire to chase the inevitable sting of rejection she knows too well. She won’t allow herself the time or the desire to pursue love.

Until she meets him.

Connor Donovan is perfectly content with his bachelor status. Life is good, teaching middle school English, and being the favorite uncle. He wants for nothing.

Until he meets her.

Shattered glass. A wash of blood.

Is it a nightmare or a memory?

Can Connor and Greye overcome the obstacles to the love of all time, or is tragedy doomed to be repeated?

What if love found the right people in the wrong time?


Here is an excerpt.

 

The Dream

Screams of outrage and pain crashed against the howling wind. Breaking glass followed while a crimson ooze covered the wet ground.
A lingering scent carried on the breeze was swallowed by the night. The orange glow on the horizon turned an ominous dark and the sky rumbled with agitation.
Each time the dream came to her, it was as vivid and profound as before. Through the fog of this dream appeared a hazy universal image. The small, obscure wooden marker at the top of the hill marked a long-forgotten resting place.

Greye had dozed off on the park bench and the haunting dream had come upon her again, as it had so many times in years past. She was never able to understand the nightmare, and it unsettled her still, as an adult. Set in a faraway place and time, there was always something more just beneath the surface… hinting at an unknown that should somehow be familiar.
Greye couldn’t have known the role this recurring dream would play in her future.  
***

Greye looked down to begin writing again when a searing pain shot straight up her leg. She froze in shocked confusion. She grabbed her knee as her eyes blurred with tears. Then she noticed the bright green Frisbee that had smashed into her right kneecap.
The kids were now otherwise occupied, their voices softer and further in the distance. The man was approaching with the Lab in stride. Greye could sense he had stopped in front of her. She heard an anxious and strong, deep voice.
“Oh God, I’m so sorry. Are you okay? I’m so sorry.”
Clutching her throbbing knee with one hand, and wiping her eyes with the other, Greye looked up into his cobalt blues, which were still cringed looking at where his errant disk had landed. Managing to conceal an unexpected sigh, she replied, “I’m fine, I think. Just wasn’t expecting it.”
She watched as he drew a hand through his dark, short hair. It was a nervous habit she figured. She also noticed the tousled, shiny waves that threatened to end in curls if his hair got much longer.
***
Connor caught an intriguing scent on the wind he thought he remembered, but couldn’t quite place. “My apologies really. I didn’t expect it to catch that much air.”
As if feeling guilty by association, the golden Lab came and rested its big head on her uninjured leg. When Connor saw the smile she gave his best friend, a warm feeling began to blossom in his chest.

Scratching the dog’s ears, she offered, “It’s okay, I’ll live. May never walk right, but I’ll live.”
The casual smirk she quickly added had Connor feeling the stricken pallor of his face blush with heat.

“Well, it has to be said, there has been considerable advancement in knee replacement these days. Though I do hope it doesn’t come to that.”
Greye let a soft laugh escape and she countered with, “I don’t think it will. I’m tough. I’ll forego the surgery, and wear this limp with pride.” She gently massaged her red and puffy knee.

This time Connor had to laugh. He really liked this pretty woman with the quick and easy comebacks. She appeared to be of mixed race, most likely black and white, with her flawless honey colored complexion. It was those expressive green eyes he found he could get easily lost in. He strongly resisted the urge to touch her soft chin length brown hair, which he noticed, was lit with auburn highlights as it fell in loose waves around a diamond shaped face. He noticed a scar that ran just under her jaw line. Her slender body looked to be in pretty good shape as well.

With a cocky grin, and a small bow he said, “A battle wound that I most humbly take credit for. Then he added, “I couldn’t help but notice your perfume. It’s really … nice.”
“Thank you. It’s just hand lotion; honey and—”
“Lavender,” he finished. That’s her scent.
She replied, “It’s honey and lavender, yes.”


Purchase Links:


Amazon Universal:  http://bookgoodies.com/a/B015NC4D8E 

Barnes & Noble:  http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/lavender-fields-raegyn-perry/1122711459

CreateSpace:  https://www.createspace.com/5753791

 

Interesting!  I certainly want to find out more!


 

Author Bio

 

Raegyn (pronounced Reagan) Perry is thrilled to share her debut novel, Lavender Fields, with readers. This is the first book in the Eternal Journey Series. It asks the question, 

‘What if love found the right people, at the wrong time?’

With the inspiration coming from a true family story, and having found the uninhibited time to write, a story was born.
When not writing, Raegyn is perfectly content curled up with a good book, TV binge watching, or on a fun travel adventure. Also, anyone who knows her knows she loves to dance (a lot!) wherever and whenever possible!

How would she describe Lavender Fields?

It’s a paranormal romance that centers around reincarnation; so it’s basically two romances! The story is funny, sexy, dark, and raw while being twisted, mysterious, and still somehow romantic.


Raegyn believes readers can connect with her lovers, Connor and Greye, on a few levels. It has the elements of the classic love story: boy meets & gets girl, but it also tackles some real and uncomfortable issues, while introducing characters that anyone can relate to, root for, or despise altogether! Then, throw some odd clues with a helping of paranormal in, and you have a unique take on a timeless aspect of romance. The author hopes so anyway!
After Raegyn completes the Eternal Journey Series, she hopes to begin work on another series, which readers can actually catch a glimpse of first within the pages of Lavender Fields.
The beautiful Pacific Northwest state of Washington has been home since 2001. She has one grown son whom she adores. Raegyn is currently working on the second book in the series, Cypress Groves (working title), and will be investigating options to maybe get her full length stage play produced in the area.

 

Author Links:

Website:  http://www.raegynperry.com/

Blog:  https://raegynperry.wordpress.com/

Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/authorRaegynPerry

Twitter:  https://twitter.com/RaegynP

Amazon Author Page:  http://www.amazon.com/Raegyn-Perry/e/B015NJV6TG/

Google+:  https://plus.google.com/+RaegynPerry/posts

Authorgraph:  http://www.authorgraph.com/authors/RaegynP

Goodreads:  https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/14469557.Raegyn_Perry

Publisher:  http://solsticepublishing.com/raegyn-perry/  

 

 

Raegyn's Book:

 

http://bookgoodies.com/a/B015NC4D8E

  

3 comments:

  1. Thank you Marie for having me here! You're awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure, Raegyn! Happy that you visited! Thanks, hon! :)

      Delete
  2. Enjoyed this. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

A Character Interview with Dillon from MOUNTAIN BLAZE, plus a conversation with author Debby Grahl!

Today we're bringing something different to Writing in the Modern Age in the form of a character interview. These character interviews, ...