Interview with Author CJ Warrant

My guest today is author CJ Warrant. Hello! Welcome to Writing in the Modern Age! It’s such a pleasure to have you here.

Can you tell us a little bit about your latest book? When did it come out? Where can we get it?


http://myBook.to/Mirror_Image




Mirror Image is about a Las Vegas stripper accused of murder then finds out the murderer might be her identical twin sister. With help from a Denver cop, she uncovers the dark secret about her past and learns to trust and follow her heart. It came out on September 29th, 2017, and it’s available on Amazon and Solstice Publishing.
 
Nice! 

Is there anything which prompted
Mirror Image? Something that inspired you?  



I’ve always loved the idea of Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde storyline. I just put a twist to it and used twins and idea of how two lived so differently and managed to meet. 
 
So, when did you know you wanted to write? Or has it always been a pastime of yours?


I always loved writing. I wrote poems and short stories when I was a kid. But never thought I would end up publishing anything until my husband gave me an encouraging push.
 
Great! I got started as a kid too.

Do you have any favorite authors yourself, CJ?


It’s like asking me do you like chocolate? I have several that I can’t choose.
 
(Laughs.) I know exactly what you mean.

So...do you write in a specific place? Time of day?  


I have an office I write in but my favorite is in the family room, on my chair and ottoman. I used to write only in the morning but that changed. Now, I start around 6 a.m. and on and off all day.
 
All right.

Are there any words you'd like to impart to fellow writers? Any advice?


This wisdom was handed down to me. “Keep writing, and don’t let what others say hold you back from it. And finish what you started…meaning once you start a manuscript, finish it.”
 
Such great advice!


Thank you so much for stopping by to visit us here today at Writing in the Modern Age. It was wonderful having you!  :)

Readers, here is the blurb for Mirror Image.

http://myBook.to/Mirror_Image
 
Las Vegas stripper, Jazz Connolly is wrongly accused of murder and finds out the killer may be her identical twin. With help from a Denver cop Mike Mitchell—the latest victim’s best friend and her accuser, Jazz uncovers facts about her past, a dark secret twisted with lies, and clues to the killer’s true identity.
When Mike finds Jazz on his doorstep, he can’t resist the temptation and helps her track down details of her past. As they uncover clues, he can’t ignore the potent chemistry between them. In this tangled web of chaos, their passion ignites, but can they learn to trust each other? While the body count grows, they will have to fight back, love hard, and survive in order to learn the truth and expose the real killer.


Here is an excerpt from the book. 



His words were so low, I’m not sure if I heard him correctly. “What did you say?”
“I know you, Jazz. So don’t lie to me. Why did you kill my friend?” This time Michael says it loud and clear.
“What? I don’t know what you’re talking about.” I try to move my feet but they are firmly wedged between his thighs and the chair.
“What is your real name?” he barks out, making me flinch.
            “I already told you,” I stammer out, still trying to dislodge my feet from the chair.
“I saw you plain as day. You left with John that night, so I know you killed him along with that prostitute,” he growls out. His accusation is like a punch to the face, nearly knocking me out.
I lurch back, finally freeing my legs. One, two, three steps, I stumble away from him. “What the hell are you talking about?”
His face is so stony now. “I need to take you to the police, so you can tell them the truth about John’s death. There’s no more hiding, Jazz.”
I’m ready to bolt, but I’m standing at the opposite side of the archway and I have to pass Michael to get free.
He scoots to the edge of the chair and points at me, his voice cold as ice. “Don’t act so stupid. I saw you leave with him. I saw the pictures of what you did to him. Was the whore just a diversion? I fucking want to know the truth, Jazz.”
Too afraid to move or deny, I plaster myself to the wall, hoping he doesn’t come after me.
Of all the times to ignore my rules, I pick the one guy who’s fucked in the head.
Murder? No. My body now buzzes with total fear. My heart’s pounding so hard against my ribcage that it hurts too much to take in deep breaths.
Michael suddenly stands and rushes at me. Before I get a chance to escape, he grabs my arms, wrenches me back against the wall and plasters his body to mine. His hand covers my mouth while his face contorts with so much rage that I have to close my eyes. I’d rather not see the feral hatred in his eyes, so I clamp my eyes shut and wait for the impending hit.
“Look at me, bitch. You’re not getting away with murder.”
Michael presses even harder against me. He’s pushing all the air out of my chest, suffocating me.
“Let me go, you bastard. I’m not going anywhere with you. Whoever you think I am, I’m not,” I squeeze out the words from behind his fingers. I try to bite him and wiggle out of his hold, but his grip is unbending and his fingers tighten on my jaw.
“Don’t lie to me. I want the truth.”
Michael is so close, close enough to kiss, but then he is yanked backward, his body landing on the floor with a loud thud on the other side of the room.
Bruce, the front door bouncer, hovers over him in a predatory stance. He is twice the bulk of Michael and stands a few inches taller. Relief pours through me as I suck in a breath. I don’t realize I’m crying until I wipe the tears away.
“Are you okay, Jazz baby?” Bruce asks in a bark. He shoots a look my way before gluing his eyes on Michael.
“I’m fine. Now. Thanks.” I wrap my arms around my middle and try to regroup my nerves. I tremble at the thought if Bruce didn’t show up right then and there. And why was Michael accusing me of murder?
Because he’s crazy, Jazz. You attract the crazies. Remember Joe?
I want to slap my conscience in the face, but she’s right. I do attract the crazies. And this one, I…I don’t even want to think about it anymore. Or him.
“Why don’t you head on back while I show this fucking loser to the door,” Bruce utters while keeping his back to me.
“Good idea,” I say with a quick glance at Michael, who now is standing. His eyes bore into me and I have to turn away. There is so much anger in the way he’s looking at me that I can feel it down to my bones. I rush out of the cove and go straight to the back.
Avoiding eye contact with the three dancers on the other side of the dressing room, I plop down hard into the plastic seat in front of my dressing mirror, close my eyes and let the muted music that seeps from the stage defuse my raw nerves.
Exhaustion and emotional disappointment begin to crash into me like a tsunami. My legs are wobbly like jelly and I’m thankful that I’m sitting.
What the fuck is wrong with me? I almost let that crazy bastard get inside my head. Almost? I groan at the sudden humiliation that I let him touch me, everywhere.
God, I’m an idiot. Dropping my head into my hands, I try not to think about what could have happened—Or what I let happen before Michael turned on me.
I can almost hear Nina ranting. The rules aren’t made to be broken, Jazz. They are there to keep us safe. “Oh, Nina, I wish you were still here,” I whisper to myself. 
 



Purchase Links:

 

Universal Amazon:  myBook.to/Mirror_Image

BAM:  http://bit.ly/2DrlDCS

IndieBound: https://www.indiebound.org/book/9781977770547

Publisher:  http://solsticepublishing.com/mirror-image/


  
Wow! Riveting excerpt!
 
It certainly sounds like an interesting book! We'll be sure to check out this romantic thriller!

http://myBook.to/Mirror_Image


 

Author Bio

 




CJ Warrant is an Award Winning Author for dark romantic suspense and contemporary romance. 
A lover of strong coffee, baking and family, but not in that order. 
She’s a wife, a loving mother of three and worked in the beauty industry for many years until the stories in her head took over. Now she’s a full time author, CJ brings her dark gritty stories to life.
 



Author Links:



 

Website: www.cjwarrant.com

Facebook:www.facebook.com/cjwarrantauthor

Twitter: www.twitter.com/cjwarrant

Amazon Author Page: https://www.amazon.com/CJ-Warrant/e/B01BTK1T40/

Goodreads:  https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/14714883.C_J_Warrant

Google+: https://plus.google.com/+CjWarrant

Pinterest: http://www.pinterest.com/cjwarrant

Instagram: www.instagram.com/cjwarrant

Publisher: http://solsticepublishing.com/cj-warrant/

 


CJ's Books:

 

http://myBook.to/Sweet_Reunion

  

http://myBook.to/Mirror_Image

 

http://myBook.to/ForgettingJane

 

https://www.amazon.com/Lovely-Meal-Thanksgiving-Collection-Romance/dp/151974286X/ref=la_B01BTK1T40_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1515794457&sr=1-5

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

A Character Interview with Dillon from MOUNTAIN BLAZE, plus a conversation with author Debby Grahl!

Today we're bringing something different to Writing in the Modern Age in the form of a character interview. These character interviews, ...