Interview with Author Miranda Oh

My guest today is Miranda Oh. Hello, and welcome to Writing in the Modern Age! It’s such a pleasure to have you here.

Thanks for inviting me!


Of course!

 

Can you give us a brief one or two sentence description of your latest book? When did it come out? Where can we get it? 


Have you hit rock bottom and had no idea where to go from there? Me too! Come along for the ride with our main character Hadley as she navigates self-love and self-respect in the darkest of places after she lost it all. It released in February 2020, and you can grab it on Amazon.


Nice! 


What inspired you to write? When did you decide that you wanted to become an author?



My life inspired me to write. It was one wild ride, and I was going through things people in my circle weren’t experiencing, so I figured if I told my story to the world, I’d connect with other souls who struggled with similar feelings. Storytelling gives me an outlet to share, connect and, most importantly, self-reflect.


Great! 
 
Do you write novels full-time, or, as a lot of writers do these days, do you also have another job?


I have a full-time job in which I love! Writing is a passion and I wish to continue to do it and grow in time.


Let's try another question.
 
How do you come up with your book ideas? Are you the type of writer who plans everything out in advance, or do you just let the story develop naturally?


Life gives me lemons and I turn them into juicy books that pair with your favorite beverage. I plan it all out, so when I write, I can stay on track. I am famous when it comes to going on random tangents and taking forever to get to my point.


All right.
 
We'll go for a different tactic now...
 
Name three quick words which describe you.


Kind, funny and passionate.


Awesome!
 
I know it's hard to choose, but tell us if you can. Who is your favorite character out of all your books?


My favorite character is mostly my main character, but to go off-topic – Hadley’s parents are pretty cool. They are open, patient and definitely those types of parents we all wish we had growing up. They would be down for a cup of tea and ready to talk about all the drama any day, offering up kind, rooted and positive advice through the most difficult of times. 



Great!
 
Try to paint a picture for us, a day in the life of you as an author, when you're focused on writing a book. What tasks do you tackle first, middle, and last?


First – set up my writing station, somewhere that I am comfy and cozy with no distractions. Second – get my liquids ready, usually a glass of wine and a water bottle. Third – the tunes have to be just right. Depending on the scene or the chapter I am writing that day, I need to have music that grooves with the tone that I am writing. Anything from meditation music to club music. Lastly – let the words slide through my brain and out my fingertips. 

 


So, I see that you write Chick Lit. Do you find that challenging, or does it come naturally to you?


This comes naturally to me, only because I choose to write about things I personally experience. I feel that I have been through the trenches, I can then take my readers through the trenches.


Okay.
 
Will there be more books like your latest in the future?


Heck, yes! I am working on my next series right now – I am interviewing 100 women from around the world who share a common incurable condition. 'Love my Lady Bits' will be a fiction series filled with a fun, deep, twisted set of stories that showcases women and all the struggles we must face on a daily with our wonderful lady bits.


Besides writing, give us a random talent or hobby that you have.


Yoga! It is my downtime, my ‘me time’, and my inner reflection time. Not only do I write for my books, I write at work, I write author reviews, and I help family and friends do little writing projects here and there. From the time my eyes open in the morning to the time I lay my head down to sleep at the end of the night, I go-go-go! Yoga gives me the opportunity to stop, slow down, and appreciate the small things in life. I wouldn’t call it a talent, I would call it a necessary self-care practice!


Nice!

 

Can you provide some of the obstacles you had to overcome to get published? Is there some advice you'd like to share with your fellow writers to encourage them on their journeys?


There are a million and one ways to get published these days. Don’t fret over how you get published, just work towards getting published. Do your research, meet and greet people in the industry, and ask questions to those of us already in the industry. We are always here to lend a helping hand. If you have a dream of becoming published, don’t stop until you reach it. No matter how hard it may be, anything worthwhile is always worth the fight to get there.


I'm sure readers are curious about your next big project. Can you tell us what you've got cooking up now, or is that a secret?


Check out more about my Love My Lady Bits series development on my Instagram page, @ohmirandaoh. In my highlights I have one dedicated to just that. I share my progress along the way. If you have a set of lady bits, or perhaps love lady bits, this new series will shed a whole new light on those beautiful, mysterious parts and all that we endure to have them and keep them happy and healthy! 


Thank you so much for stopping by Writing in the Modern Age!  It was such a pleasure to have you here!


Readers, this is the blurb for Just Breathe: Chin Up, Tits Out.
 
 

Continuing the saga of Hadley, recently divorced and wending her way down the path of life in anticipation of her rapidly approaching 30th birthday as a single woman. Testing waters and wantonly accepting new and exhilarating scenarios, Hadley wisely chooses each path carefully before diving into the quagmire which is life. A humorous, oft times sexy, look at life from a young woman's standpoint, readers will laugh out loud at some scenarios, cry at others, and knowingly shake their heads at still others.


Here is an excerpt.

 

 

I didn’t know that meeting Andi that day would change my life in a way I couldn’t even fathom. Through the couple of months after Riaan left, I was beyond broken and empty. Loving someone and the thought of love in any capacity seemed almost impossible. Until I met Andi.
I stood in front of the door for not even a split second, and the door whipped open. Strikingly bright, golden eyes looked up at me with elation. “HADLEY!”
Exactly like her dad. She swung her arm around my neck and squeezed tight. She was carrying her son on her hip—he and I got almost a face full of each other the way she squeezed us.
“Oh my God, I can’t believe I finally get to meet you! The infamous Hadley, you are my inspiration!” She pulled back from our embrace and started to bounce the baby while swaying back and forth.
“Me? Oh my goodness, how come?” I nervously asked.
“Come on, don’t even tell me you don’t know how amazing your story is. And just look at you! God, you are stunning.” She was serious. At this point I figured that having a baby must make you partially blind because “stunning” was not what I saw when I looked in the mirror.
Her son looked at me bright-eyed and drooly. “Want to hold him? He is such an easy baby.” Before I could respond, she passed me the baby. He smiled wide and giggled exactly like his Grandpa Dennis.
I immediately died and fell in love with this little man.
“Bradi, meet Aunty Hadley. We love Aunty Hadley,” she coaxed the baby. Bradi threw his face towards mine, giving me a face full of slobber.
“That’s his way of kissing. We’re practicing.” Andi giggled, then spun on her heels. “What can I get you to drink? Vodka, wine, whiskey, a shot perhaps?” she giggled out. Definitely some strong happy genetics coming through here!
That was my first aunty kiss. Slobbery kisses completely recharge your soul! Definitely the best kisses ever! So much unconditional love right there in the simplest way.
I shrugged. “I have a drink in my coffee mug already. I’m okay.”
“Nonsense, let’s do a shot. We have to celebrate us finally meeting. It’s been a long time coming, and I know our friendship is just meant to happen,” she chirped while playing around with a bunch of liquors.
Andi turned around, handed me a shot glass, and then saluted her own shot glass in my direction. “To kindred spirits, loving loud, and not being afraid of going after whatever you want! Cheers to you, and cheers to us!” We made eye contact, smiled, and tossed the shots back. It tasted like fruit punch.
That would probably hurt tomorrow.
We sat down and started from the beginning, each sharing the tragic stories that led us to this moment. In a nutshell, this cute little peanut, Bradi was the result of a lot of turmoil and tragedy in Andi’s life. Bradi ended up having two sisters that were born mere weeks around his own birth. Andi and her folks banded together as Andi embarked on raising her son alone. To boot, Andi suffers from Endometriosis, an incurable reproductive disease, which caused her even more complications during the birth and early months. We had nothing in common, except the fact that we had both been through some pretty heavy shit in the last few years. We were alike in personality but really had no commonalities within our life paths. For instance, she was on the path looking for a biker dude covered in tattoos who could build a house from the ground up. She loved the farm life and her farm animals.
Me, on the other hand…well, farm and Hadley don’t typically go together in the same sentence. Same with biker boys. I had no idea what I wanted, but I was finally starting to figure out what I didn’t want, and I reckoned that was a good start.
Hearing her story made me feel somehow stronger and more empowered with my own situation. She expressed the same feeling. I secretly counted my blessings – and I am sure Andi was doing the same - grateful that we hadn’t experienced each other’s stories. And appreciating our own story at that moment.
Throughout that weekend, Andi and I bonded and became close friends. I think the key to our friendship is that we continue to check in with one another. We lead our own lives, striving towards our own success and goals, but we do a quick check-in. A phone call or text to just connect on a deeper level than the typical autopilot setting we tend to get stuck in. Checking in not only holds us accountable as friends—it keeps us close and connected—but also when I get that check-in from her, I force myself to do an internal check-in at the same time and truly analyze my own situation to make sure I’m good.
I had experienced the familial love that I have for my parents and my brother. I had experienced being deeply in love with Riaan. I had experienced love between friends who have commonalities and similar interests with me. But this was a first—to connect deeply with someone who was so different in every way on the outside, but deep, deep down inside, we connected immediately and genuinely.
That was the moment that I realized love is actually everything. There are so many different types of love out there, and none of them are easy, none of them make any sense, but it is all about the unexplained, nonverbal connection that two people have. Because of that weekend with Andi, I finally felt a glimmer of hope that one day I would find the lifelong partner love with someone again.
The weekend was a success overall. I walked into it thinking all these people would be mad at me, that I let them down, that they were pissed that they spent money for gifts and booze at our wedding, and it all went to shit. But it was the exact opposite—they went out of their way to be supportive, they were kind, and they embraced me every chance they could.
I know for some people being touched is a no-no, but for me, it’s a necessity; words can never express the joy and fulfillment I feel when someone who cares about me embraces me and transfers positive energy to me. During that time, I needed all the positivity I could get. So bring on the hugs!



Purchase Link:




Universal Reader link:  https://books2read.com/u/4Dg2gP

 

 

Wow, it looks like such a special story!



What are people saying about Just Breathe?

 
 
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

I spent two hours in the bath , two LARGE glasses of wine and kept on reading when the water had already turned cold & the only reason I stopped was because I don’t want it to end ! I hope your started on the fourth book because I won’t be able to hold myself off long ! 💋  - Chey, Amazon

Miranda writes well, able to create an atmosphere of contemporary real time inextricably bonded to the spectrum of love – both found and longed for – and related with a naughty verbiage that is so appropriate to the story she creates. She has sculpted a unique central character in Hadley Hope McLeary, a girl who seems strangely familiar to the readers without being a stereotype. And following the precedent of her first volume, Miranda drops a bit of suggestion about the story’s direction as the book opens – ‘You know those moments when you tell yourself that you are totally right in your thinking, and you attempt to convince yourself, but really, truly, you know you’re wrong?' Adds a tug at the heart and tear duct while eliciting a Brava! from her admirers. Well done, Miranda Oh! - Grady Harp, Amazon TOP 50 Reviewer
 
Miranda has portrayed the raw and heart breaking emotions of the main character in a way that everyone can resonate with. The easy relate-able sarcasm in her inner voice makes you laugh even while crying. This book offers inspiration in the strength and perseverance that carries the main character Hadley through life. I most enjoyed the way Miranda Oh interprets the age old fairy tale of Cinderella with the realities of 2020 and a fresh take on love that everyone of all ages can relate to.  - Amazon Customer




Add it to your Goodreads bookshelf, readers!


We'll be sure to check out this chick lit tale!

 

https://books2read.com/u/4Dg2gP




Author Bio

 

My name is Miranda Oh. I am the author of the Chin Up, Tits Out series. My motto in life is to always have a chin-up, tits out attitude, no matter what! When the tough gets going, there is no shame in sipping some wine and having an ugly cry. 

Life is a wild ride, sharing the twisted stories is what brings us together. 

I hope that my stories bring you lots of laughter, some shock, and a few tears. I encourage alcoholic beverages when reading, it will enhance your reading experience. 

I would love to connect with you, and never forgot to #chinuptitsout.

Your life will change if you keep that positive mental attitude! Promise! Cheers to you! 

XoXo,

Miranda Oh

 


Author Links:

Website/Blog: 
www.mirandaoh.com  



Miranda's Books:
 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

A Character Interview with Dillon from MOUNTAIN BLAZE, plus a conversation with author Debby Grahl!

Today we're bringing something different to Writing in the Modern Age in the form of a character interview. These character interviews, ...